I’ve just tried the absolutely excellent WordPress Duplicator plugin. This is probably one of the few plugins that all wordpress developer must have.
Before I stumble on this I do run my own development environment but keeping them in sync is a pain. The problem being that since wordpress is very configurable, a lot of the configuration information is actually stored as data. Which makes migrating quite difficult. The duplicator plugin aims to take all of this fuss away but giving you a click-and-drop support for duplicating your wordpress site from one location to another.
The most useful scenario is to duplicate your production environment into your local environment and overriding key settings such as the site name (a “prod2dev refresh”), and the second most useful one would be for getting the next version of your site all done in your dev/test environment and cloning it to production (“dev2prod push”).
- Setup: wordpress 3.4.2, duplicator 0.3.2
prod env on hosted site
dev env on localhost via xampp
- Result: jolly good 🙂
- Get the plugin here – or, use the plugin downloader which is embedded in wordpress.
- Install the plugin from the origin website.
Use it to create a package
- Download both the package and installer file
Put it into the destination folder
( for example C:\xampp\htdocs\webName )
- Since this is a wp install, create an empty database
- Access installer .php via browser
( for example, http://localhost/webName/installer.php )
- Follow the onscreen instruction, provide credential & path to database
Once done, follow the onscreen instruction again. Don’t omit any step.