- Do this at your own risk: this is what I did and everything I wrote here is written in that context. You are responsible for your own action – so read & study on your own, make up your mind and decide.
- That being said, I think fasting works extremely well for weight loss and body-repair, and I would personally recommend trying it, at least once.
I prepared two weeks prior to my target fast date.
- Eat Better:
- Get more meat and less carbs. Try to have a balanced ratio of carbs, protein, and fat. I did about 4:4:2 (carbs-protein-fat).
- Eat a bunch of multivitamins to stock up my body with vitamins and minerals.
- SKIP BREAKFAST. This is a form of intermittent fasting and will prepare your body for the fast. Eat only between 2pm to 10pm.
- Plan your fast timeline:
- I planned early and secured some time off on Monday and Tuesday the week after, my plan is to start the fast on Thursday night, survive the crash on Friday, and fast on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday – ending my five day fast on Tuesday night.
- Read up as much as I need to make up my mind and steel my resolve.
- In hindsight, I wish I have purchased equipment to measure my ketones and glucose.
- I did not plan on how to break the fast, I just google it as I go close to the end of my fast. I recommend that you do the same, don’t think about the end, just steel your resolve to begin and concentrate on maintaining your fasted state. Close to the end, your mental hunger is well managed, and you can still have the time to google recipes and shop groceries. You won’t feel hunger even when looking at good cooked and eaten in front of you, if you manage to enter deep ketosis.
- Final night:
- Take a picture of your body, and weight. Tell yourself that this is the starting point, and you will enter water fast tomorrow. Tell someone who you can trust and who will support you about it – this will help strengthen your resolve. They will tell you that you are crazy, and you’d better have done enough reading up to this point to convince them that you are not suicidal, and that this actually can work, and is good for the body!
My daily ‘fasting routine’:
These are accumulated based on experience I got in the last 5 1/2 days.
You don’t have to follow this, and you may follow other protocol. In any case, decide what is best for you, yourself. I just wing it as I go and it worked quite well
On the first/second date (transitioning into fasted state):
- Chant/meditate and steel your mind & resolve on your objective of fasting.
- Drink plenty of water
- When mental hunger hits, take note and tell yourself that this too will pass. ( it will ).
- IF headache hits, take note and tell yourself that this too will pass.
- By hooks or by crooks, just let it come and survive it. If you have done your preparation well, this will not last long. (lasted 5 hours for me).
Once in fasted state – routine:
- Wake up (around 8am), exercise (or at least stretch).
- I would do my chanting / meditation routine after I woke up.
Note: apparently, I get into meditative state more easily in fasted state. Reinforce your fasting mind here.
- Drink plenty of water whenever possible. Basically, drink water non stop:
- Add lemon slice because it’s good, and it makes the water taste better.
- Add himalayan rock salt (or just plain rock salt) every now and then for added sodium:
- At the time when you expect tiredness to kick in (around 3pm for me) make coffee.
I started with milk+espresso, but realized later that long black (hot water+espresso) is better
- IF you see food, and desire arises, take note of that desire and observe: you will realize that it is mild and easily diverted. Just by simply looking away will do the trick. If the fragrance of the food is an issue, hold your breath and remove yourself from the area. Although this may not be necessary at all, as your hunger is greatly diminished in ketosis, because your body is eating all the time from your fat! After 3 days into fasting, I can be in the presence of a friend eating or cooking and my desire to eat only stirs a bit. (except when I am near my FAVOURITE food)
- Take afternoon nap (20min-1 hr) to refresh if possible. If you feel tired, sleep – at night your body will be awake and alert.
- Optional: Eat one TEAspoon of crushed garlic, chopped + raw honey. afterwards, flush it down with warm water. Do this at least 4 hour before you sleep. Watch out for bad breath 😀
- Optional: record a video
- Hop on bed around 11pm, but fell asleep around 12am-2am, depending on how my keto body works that day.
- IF you wake up at night, don’t fight it – instead do some stretch and do light work. You will find your mind is very alert and you can be very productive. After about 1-2 hr you will feel sleepy, then you can go to bed.
- IF soreness builds up in your body in the area that needs work, let it be – it will go away.
- On the last day of the fast, do cupping / hijama to speed up toxin extraction and relax your body to end the fast.
I don’t fully understand all this stuff before I fasted too, but over time it works. It’s good to read this if you are preparing for your fasting, as it would have aided greatly in understanding what happened to my body.
- General Fasting knowledge
- Under stand that fasting is the most naturally direct way to go into ketosis, but it is not the only way. The goal is to get into ketosis and achieve a low Glucose-Ketones index, where Glucose is low, and Ketones are high.
- Health benefit of water fasting
- 6 symptoms that indicate you should stop fasting. So you know when to hit the brake in case you’re off the rail.
- Five Stages Of Fasting By Dr. Nikolayev (Russian Case Study) – Christi Vlad
- Ketosis & Glucose-Ketone index
- Nutritional Ketones in a nutshell
Gives a good introduction to Ketosis, but you don’t have to buy the Keto OS. Because, we are going to fast our way into Ketosis.
- Dr. Jason Fung on ketosis.
Explains how fasting changes your hormones, enhance fat loss and why it won’t lead to muscle loss
- What is a Glucose Ketone Index and why you should care
In short, you want to get high ketones reading, and low glucose reading. If you can have these two, your body will be in optimum performance – even theraputic/healing if the GKI is below 3.
- Nutritional Ketones in a nutshell
- Hijama / Cupping in fasted state
- Performing cupping while fasting
Explains benefit of cupping to remove toxins and how it is better while fasting. However, some warning: though cupping during fasting is not considered breaking a fast scientifically, from religious context of Islam this might be considered as breaking fast.
- For muslim, please read this article – Hijaamah (cupping) for the fasting person.
There are conflicting Hadith about cupping while fasting but since I am not a muslim I went through with the cupping and it works very well. As this may interfere with your faith, you need to consider this aspect very well.
- Performing cupping while fasting
How did I go?
- Very well ! I started with 77.2 on Thursday night Oct 19, planning to do a 5 day fast, and finished on Tuesday night Oct 24, but felt quite good so went further till Wednesday night. I lost close to 5kg in 5 days with my body in deep ketosis, and transitioning into a keto diet.
- Long story below
Day zero: Thursday Oct 19
- Last bite at around 8pm
- Weight at 77.2kg (probably from dinner weight)
Day one: Friday Oct 20
- Morning weight 76.8kg – this is probably a better starting point to use as comparison.
- By around 2pm, the first hunger pang hits – hard. Pretty bad headache, still able to function but the hunger and headache is constantly there to remind you.
- By around 7pm, the hunger and headache disappears.
Day two: Saturday Oct 21
- Woke up and not feeling hungry, I anticipate the hunger will hit around 2pm (my usual lunchtime)
- Hit the gym with Mayson at 11-12, light exercise and weights. Starting to add slices of lemon to my water, because tap water taste bad, and a slice of lemon in your water is supposed to be good for you.
- By 1pm, weight is at 75.9kg
- Decided to have a cup of coffee at 3pm with milk
- At night – tested out the garlic+honey on empty stomach story. Took one teaspoon of crushed garlic with raw honey – right after I down it, I felt a bit of a ‘stomach cramp’, dull pain on the upper left part of my stomach. Down big glass of warm water and the pain dissapears. I guess I should down these with a ton of water.
- Weight by midnight is 75.4kg
Day three: Sunday Oct 22
- Woke up feeling good, and feeling just a faint feeling of hunger – at this stage I gain awareness that the hunger I have felt thus far is just mental hunger.
- Hit the gym from 11am-12pm.
- Went out for music rehearsal from 1pm, finishing at 5pm – which provided good boost in mood and distraction overall from hunger. Food does not trigger the same reaction at this stage, even when walking to a room full of people eating, the desire to eat is already lessened greatly. Driving, playing music, running around to coordinate – all activity went as normal and did not feel hindrance from lack of energy. Noticed energy is tied to emotion – when I’m feeling good there’s more energy.
- No coffee for this day. Went to Woolworth at night to shop for the food to break my fast, I decided to jump into the ketogenic diet after breaking my fast, because my body would already be in ketosis. And after some time in Keto, would switch to Intermittent Fasting (IF). Realized that water fasting gave me tremendous confidence in being able to execute all this plan, because.. if I can survive 3 days without food, why couldn’t I do IF and survive 20 hours of not eating? Seems way possible.
- Weight at 7pm: 74.8, body fat: 22.7%, BMI 24.4 – figure out a function in my OMRON scale that measures all this.
- By night time, feeling weird sensation in the legs – my whole body feels strangely cold – especially in both of my legs. There are finger wrinkles like if you are in the water for a bit – so took a long hot shower to warm my body up, and slept with electric blanket to warm my lower body.
Day four: Monday Oct 23 – took a day off.
- Woke up feeling good, not hungry at all – despite the small amount of sleep I got at night. Neighbour upstair is partying till late at night and the sound bothers me!
- The cold / sore feeling in my legs are gone, body feels very normal.
- Weight at 9am is 74.5, body fat 22.7%, BMI 24.3
- Did a bit of work in the morning, then accompanied Jenn to the GP. Accompanied her for breakfast (Bread Top) – but not feeling the ‘food desire’ at all. Afterwards, doing a bit of reading / study in State Library. Feeling lethargic, didn’t have energy to go to the gym.
- Then, we head out to Peter Gu’s clinic in Oakleigh, and on the way Jenn wanted to get this amazingly delicious Crispy Skin Pork banh mi (vietnamese bun roll). God damn, when she brought those rolls to the car, the car smells of that crispy skin pork and my stomach literally grumbles at the smell !! I guess some food doesn’t stir my appetite, but a damn good banh mi could.
- Drove to Oakleigh and Jenn drive on the way back, feeling weak and lethargic, slept in the car, and after we reached home.
- at 11pm – feeling a bit hunrgy, so that pork roll really have an effect on my mental hunger. Also though my legs are not paining, my whole body feels a bit colder than it normally is, guess this is a thing. So took bit longer shower to warm my body and slept.
Day five: Tuesday Oct 24 – still on day off.
- Woke up at 2am, feeling wide awake and extremely calm. Decided to do some stretch.
- Observation: I have had this ‘locked joint’ on my left hip which prevented me from stretching my legs wide – I used to be pretty flexible when I was very active in martial art practices back in uni. But lately I noticed that my left hip can’t open beyond a certain angle. However, when I stretched this time, I noticed that the ‘lock’ is not there and with some effort I could stretch my legs & hips to a greater degree than I could previously. Overall felt my legs become more flexible – maybe a (good) side effect from that feeling of cold/sore that I felt at the end of Day three.
- Did some work and was really focused, but feeling tired and sleepy at 4:30am, so decided to sleep. Slept very well till about 9am, woke up and helped Jenn with housework. This time, I don’t feel hungry at all, actually I felt this is the best day so far – and this is supposed to be my last day of fasting.
- Morning weight: 73.1, body fat 22.2%, BMI 23.9
- On discussing the feeling of cold/sore and my magically fixed hips – Fabian, another friend on Keto diet – told me to check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNzZod_d18A. Which I would in due time.
- Spend the day cleaning up my PC, backing up files and catching up on errands. Did a light workout during the day in between activities. During the day, I felt the cold/sore sensation – similar to what I felt with my left hip, but this one is in the area of my tailbone. No idea what this is all about, but not too panicked by now. Just sit it out and it goes away.
- Decided to extend my fast till (hopefully) Thursday to make it a full 7 days / 1 calendar week of fasting. Also will catch up with Rob (who is deep in Keto diet side of things) – he will bring some devices to measure my stats in the morning, so we’ll see what it says.
- Also… decided that I will quite smoking altogether. Although my cigarette have been minimal, since I have attained a body reset, I don’t want to put junk back into it.
Day six: Wednesday Oct 25 – resuming work.
- Couldn’t sleep well last night due to noise disturbance and my lower & upper back feeling very tight & sore. First it starts from the lower back, then it adds on the upper back.
- Luckily managed to get about 5 hour sleep, and when I woke up, I am fully alert thanks to my keto body, and not feeling hungry. However I feel that the soreness in my upper and lower back is reduced, and it has moved now to my upper neck.
- Weight in the morning: 72.3 ! amazing drop if I can say so myself.
body fat: 21.1 %
- Went nearby and met with Rob, who tested both my Ketones and Glucose level. Rob have been doing the Ketogenic Diet for a while and has all the devices to measures this and that.
- My readings: Ketones: 4.1 mmol/l, Glucose 3.8 mmol/l – so my Glucose-Ketone index should be 0.93 which is very low (and very good) see the on Reading Material section above on Glucose-Ketone index. I guess this is why my weight loss have been really fast.
- On returning, I noticed that my back is still very sore, I thought that cupping might speed up extraction of toxins from the system on the areas where the body is working, so I did. Firstly in the lower back, then the upper back, and later in the day in the neck. I followed the sensation of how the tightness/soreness builds in my body in the night.
- I did dry cupping (not wet) as I have no proficiency in that – and I noticed that it went black much more quickly than normal. Usually, it takes about 5-10 minute for the skin to turn black, but this time it turns black within under 1 minute. And sure enough, after cupping is performed, all feeling of soreness and tension went away leaving the cupping marks in my body.
- I did not took shower immediately after, as it is not advisable to do so. Instead I waited a good 2-3 hour before I took my shower.
- Weight in day time: 72.6
I wish I had those ketones and glucose measuring tools. Will do on my next fast (and yes I will do this again)
Happy to finish my fast, and will do something like this again next year.
hope this helps!