I completed 6 day water fast in Oct 2016, and in Mar 2017 I am doing another one for 7 days. At the time of this writing, I am on day 6 and doing well. I tried to encourage my friends to try it, though not many is willing to try, there are some who wanted to give it a go. Got tired of explaining it again and again, so I wrote my fasting method down for easy reference/sharing.
This page will be updated as I discover more stuff.
If you plan to do this, you are doing this at your own risk, I’m not taking any responsibility for your health.
If you are UNDER 18, you should NOT do this – if you do want to try, check with your parent & guardian.
Fasting is NOT for everyone, example – if you are underweight, you have to be very careful if you are trying out fasting. There are other method of cleansing and detox, if that is what you are after.
That being said, if you still want to do it on your own risk, read on.
PREPARATION (1-2 week before)
- Eat: 60% fruit & vegetable, 30% meat or fat, 10% carbs (rice, noodle, bread)
- Fat and dairy is OK. Cheese is OK, milk is OK.
- Eat multi vitamin: especially rich in calcium, potassium, magnesium – just get multivitamin mix. Gain weight a bit also OK, body need energy before fasting.
- Goal is to reduce sugar level in the body as much as possible. When sugar level low, body will trigger “I am dying, please eat:” response – headache, feeling weak, etc. The key is to reduce sugar body gradually, and on first day, to burn the remaining sugar with big exercise. If we do this, the transition to fasting will be smooth, and no / very little pain. If we don’t do this, when sugar level dropping, you will experience many discomfort for 2-3 days (depending how much sugar is left in your body)
- Suggest to have final meal on a Friday night
- This way, Sat & Sun could be an adjustment day, so when you are hitting work on Monday you are well adjusted and in fasted state.
- Wake up, exercise a bit (to burn any sugar in the body and to maintain muscle)
- Optional: do a 10-15 minute meditation. It is easier to reach the right mindset during fasted state, especially on 3rd day onwards, as the mind is quieter.
- Drink a lot of water. When drinking, add PINK HIMALAYAN ROCK SALT – this is rich in sodium
- 3pm – one cup of coffee. Black, no sugar – for energy boost.
- At night, drink water with multivitamin – Body still need vitamin.
- Exercise in afternoon/before sleep, help you get good sleep.
- Heart beating fast (70-90bpm) in first few days – this is apparently quite normal. Part of switching from sugar to fat for energy. My heart beat is averaging on around 80bpm.
- Heart beating fast > 100bpm, or if you are cramping or feeling cold in your limbs – this is not normal. Could be lack of minerals (sodium,magnesium & potassium) in your body. Eat more multivitamin.
This is what happen to me last year in Oct and this year as well, so this time I am not surprised by what happens to my body
- DAY1: (hopefully on a Saturday, if Friday night is last meal)
- Do a LOT of exercise to burn off excess sugar. Minimum 1 hour, must sweat. Drink a lot.
- If done well, you will only feel a little hunger, but easy to fight. Run away from food and smell of food.
- WARNING: if you smoke a lot, you might get nicotine withdrawal – you need to endure this. It’s a good time to break free from nicotine.
- DAY2: (usually on a Sunday)
- If done well, you will not feel any pain & no hunger. But still THINK about food, so
- Run away from food, picture of food, or anything like that. Maybe do some work or clean the house…
- WARNING: if you smoke a lot, you might get nicotine withdrawal – you need to endure this. It’s a good time to break free from nicotine
- DAY3: (Monday)
- Do work normally – work is a good distraction to hunger.
- Should be not hungry at all, but still think about food.
- If you have nicotine dependency, should be less annoyance/pain by now.
- DAY 4,5,6,7…
- If correctly done, appetite should disappear completely – even when cooking, or seeing food, should be very easy to reject.
- Mind become quiet, less noise – the body switch off unnecessary function to save energy.
- Basically from day 4 should be “fasting maintenance mode” it will be easy to carry on day by day like this. You can stop whenever you want or have reached your goal.
- JFYI the world record for fasting is 382 days, controlled study in 1972. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR64wOmDlxI&t=257s the finding is fully documented on whitepaper. Unlike people on ‘biggest loser’ reducing so much weight does not result in “belly flaps” because the body will eat the excess skin too.
- Very fast weight lost & fat burn – in my experience, one day, one kg. During fasting, the body switch from burning sugar, to burning fat. Basically, the body eat from inside fat 24/7 – this is why you don’t feel hungry. This state is called KETOSIS.
- The body will eat ANYTHING inside the body for food, and this is why fasting is also a kind of toxic cleansing. Anything toxic in the body will be slowly eaten away. The longer you fast, the more cleansing will happen.
- The digestion system takes a break – because no food come in, only liquid. This allows ALL digestive organ to heal and recover – by burning energy from inside fat. Pancreas, stomach, intestines all takes a break.
- If you have any small cancer cell or tumor cell – they survive & grow by eating sugar. Without sugar, they can not survive. The body will (theoritically) eat them for energy as well. Fasting is now being trialled for diabetes prevention, and also as theraputic method for early stage cancer treatment.
- After Day 4 onwards, your tongue will be white – this is normal. Apparently the toxin in your body will rise up to your tongue, in the morning, just scrape it off with toothbrush. When the tongue go back to pink, means all toxin in the body is eaten away. This is one of the sign to stop fasting naturally.
- After many days of fasting, you may experience “TRUE HUNGER”. Normally the hunger we feel is only in the mind, but when our body runs out of BOTH sugar AND fat, it will trigger a real, body hunger. This is called “wolf’s appetite” or “true hunger” when this come, you MUST STOP fasting immedieately. If you don’t the body will start to eat muscle. After muscle, they will consume organ – from least important to most important. But, you may need to fast more than 1 month to reach this state.
- If experiencing any of this, must stop immediately
- Extreme pain in stomach or any other organ (heart, liver, etc) – your body organ should not have any pain during fasting.
- Abnormal bleeding / menstruation
- Blackout / passing out
BREAKING THE FAST (“break fast”)
- DO NOT EAT a lot of things. Start with something easy to digest & soft, like vegetable soup and egg. Drink a lot of vegetable and fruit juice. Avoid sugar.
- Optionally you can go to KETO diet for one week. The food is delicious, and high in FAT content. Eating like this is not only delicious, it maintains your KETOSIS so you will lose weight gradually week by week. However, I recommend NOT to do KETO diet for more than 2 week, because of vitamin imbalance. So, just enjoy the high fat food for 2 week while you are in KETOSIS.
Headbanger Kitchen (https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadbangersKitchen) have BEST KETO RECIPE.
- After few days, you can eat normally.