Notes I took while listening to the video, will tidy up later.
Top 6 Emotional Intelligence indicators for tech people
- (EQ) Singular drive to achieve to improve performance, to make things better more effective. people who have it, have very high internal standard to succeed. they measure against internal standard. set challenging goals.
- (EQ) Impact/influence- being able to make persuasive argument, can hold well in debate, to tailor presentation to audience.
- (COGNITIVE) conceptual thinking / pattern recognition – seing what matters, what is crucial, identifying underlying problems to identify what can be done to make a difference
- (COGNITIVE) analysis – breaking problems down systematically, anticipating obstacles – in seeing a complex problem being able to point out an issue and simulate / anticipate ripple effect – drawing logical conclusions
- (EQ) taking on challenges without being told to do so, being persistent in tackling problems
- (EQ) Being self-confident in trusting your own judgement – thus like to operate independently, having freedom and autonomy.
General notes, unsorted
- Brain = machine for survival evolve bottom up
- Amygdala within the brain is designed to check: is it a threat? do I eat it, or does it eat me? it functions is very instant & ractive way and can trigger HPA Axis: hypothalamic-pituitary-drenall axis: a rush of stress hormones
- Once triggered, the brain processes and prioritizes incoming information in completely differently.
- For example, if emotion is ‘fear’ everyting relevant to what’s scaring us is what preoccupies attention. It’s the classic: “flight-flight-freee” trigger.
- problem: it functions still like how it is done before, but current environment are more complicated, they are ‘symbollic threat’.
- when amygdala hijack happens: strong emotional response – very sudden and intense, do something or say something (or send an email) that when that settles you really regret. “fundamental darnkess” triggering negative tendencies.
- impulse go up first passes prefrontal cortex. it’s the brain’s executive center. to come up
- diff between IQ & EQ
IQ: cortical abilities operates in the top of the brain / neocorte
EQ: integrates executive center with emotional center.
- emotional intelligence == prefrontal, subcortical integration of abilities.
- prefrontal cortex – when amygdala hijacks, it drives and take over right side of the cortex. When we’re feeling good, good energy, very enthusiastic, right is quiet, left is hardly active. each person have resting ratio: between right and left.
- amygdalla could send depressive anxiety. left cortex can calm the amygdalla – left have an inhibitory ability.
Emotional Intelligence Development
- what are we feeling? why am I feeling this? when we have a thought, our emotional center valence is for us when we’re making decision, emotional center prioritize it for us.
- to make good decision depends on ability to draw on the wisdom of the wisdoms. in basal ganglia, its base brain, observe everything in life, it keeps tabs of everything and calibrate the decision making construct. It deosn’t connect to the cortex, but tells us yes or no is via gut feeling.
- This also comes to also ethics and integrity. self awareness allows one to tap into this information in base of the brain.
- ‘catalytic’ to self improvement
ANILITY TO MANAGEDISTURBING/CRIPPLING EMOTION
- the center for motivation is in the left PFC connected to memory, is to help us keep in mind how good it is when we finish this. motivation depends on this circuitry.
- wait vs grab, defer gratification
- can wait == better, can delay gratification for higher result.
- impules == sign of poor inhibition of amygdalla signals.
- working memory – attention. capacity of working memory = 7 plus or minus 2. If 6 is inhibited from amygdalla signals.
- cognitive capacity is shrinked by how much your mind is preoccupied by distressing signals. ability to inhibit its an enabler to allow us to give full attention to what we’re trying to do
- optiomal conditioning functioning means, IQ going as much as it can, and when this happens there is an enjoyment in the activity.
CONDITION OF RAPPORT
- both party is in tune
- non verbal communication looks like a coreographed dance
- feels good