Well, I didn’t bother putting cynanogenmod on my old TF101, but since it’s getting pretty darn old, it’s time to breathe new life into it! The official instruction is a bit unclear, so hope this helps someone else out there. Note that the ultimate reference, no matter how ambiguous it is, is still the cynanogenmod wiki. So read this once first: [ http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_tf101 ]
- EasyFlasher [ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1688012 ] EasyFlasher already contains CWM recovery ROM, adb
- APX Driver: I followed the official guide and downloaded [ http://cmw.cmfs.me/common/ventana-apx-driver.zip ] However other alternative are available (such as the one in Easyflasher page).
- Cynanogen ROM – this is the one we are trying to load: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=tf101
- Google Apps – this is the software on top of the cynanogen that enable all the Google goodness – http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
- Install APX driver
- power off TF101 device
- connect USB cable to your PC
- hold volume up + power button. The screen will remain blank – in this position connect other end of USB cable to your device.
- Once connected, Windows should detect that a new device is connected, but the driver is not found. Use device manager to find the APX driver and search for driver from your downloaded APX driver
Installing Clockword Recovery
- Clockword Recovery (CRM) is a ROM management system that allows you to manage ROM installed on the device. With it you can purge your device to factory setting, backup ROM, or load new ones. So the general step is to first use EasyFlasher to load CRM into the device, and then using CRM to load Cynanogen ROM + Gapps.
- To do this, from your PC, start Easy Flasher – select your SBK version, (I chose SBK2)
- Pick a recovery ROM, I used the ‘RogueXM Touch’ as this is easier to operate
- click on flash button. Your device (TF101) should indicate that the recovery ROM is loaded into it. If you see this, then CRM is set and you’re ready to load the Cynanogen ROM. To verify, you can test if RogueXM is loaded properly:
- Power off the device.
- Gold volume down + power to turn it on. On boot a small text will indicate to press volume up to load recovery ROM. so press volume up.
- This will load RogueXM Touch – if you see this happening, you have verified that Rogue Clockword Recovery is really there.
- Power off your device for next step.
Loading / transferring Cynanogen ROM & GApps
- This can be done in many ways, but the most straightforward way is to use an SDCard (if you are not familiar with adb). So power off your device, and take out the SD Card. From your PC, copy both Cynanogen ROM & Gapps into the SDCard and slot that SD card back in.
- Transfer complete Otherwise, use adb – see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1667929
Starting CRM & installing Cynanogen ROM
- At this stage, you should be in the following setup:
- Rogue CRM loaded into device
- Cynanogen ROM + GApps loaded in SDCard (by physical transfer or via adb)
- Device turned off.
- So, turn on the device into RogueXM Recovery Rom: hold volume down & power on the device. When prompted, press volume up.
- Once in RogueXM: use the menu to back up your ROM (optional)
- use the menu to mount your SD card
- use the menu to wipe your device – this will clean the whole thing and return it to factory setting.
- use the menu to install ROM from zip.. browse to SD card:
- first install the Cynanogen Mod,
- then install the Gapps.
- Once done, reboot.
You are on Cynanogen Mod.