Growing up in Jakarta, Indomie is a staple for Indonesian kids – and I loved its taste, texture and flavor. This is Indomie, recreated in my own fashion – so I can adjust it just the way I like it, make it anytime I want, and consume it with my choice of ‘noodles’.
A decent Indomie
A good Indomie is never just on its own, you garnish it with something – shallots, chilli, and you add your own toppings. A decent indomie also need a noodle that is not so soggy – My favourite toppings is a freshly cut chilli, fried crispy bacon on the side, and fried egg with a runny yolk.
So here’s how you make em’
The portion / measurement is for one person. Multiply accordingly
- “Noodles” 75g per person
I used Spaghetti as an overly cooked Spaghetti actually has the texture of a firm noodle, that will not go soggy. Some recipes requires the taste and texture of egg noodles, but this is not one of them.
- Chicken Stock powder (Knorr) – a pinch and a half
Or two pinch – adjust to how umami you want your noodles to be. Start small, you can always add more at the end
- Fried shallots, 1 tbsp
- Whatever toppings you want. Bacon, mushroom, eggsies, vegies..
Let’s Do This !
- Boil noodle, in this case Spaghetti. Around 8 minute (al dente -> a bit more) is perfect for me.
- Separately, make your toppings on your frying pan:
bacon and egg fried in bit of olive oil, with mushroom or what have you
When done, set it aside on the plate.
- With the remaining oil the pan, top it up with a bit more olive oil
add your fried shallot. Once the pan heats – add a small amount of water from your noodle pot.
Around 2 tbsp – the fried shallots, oil and water would mix up nicely forming a base ‘shallot sauce’.
- Move the noodle out from your pot and into the pan. Mix it up – just like how you would make a pasta.
- Add the 1.5 pinch of Knorr Chicken Stock powder. You can do less or more depending how umami you want it.
- Add ABC chili sauce + sweet soy sauce on the plate.
Do not mix the chili sauce and sweet soy sauce in the pan, it needs to be mixed on the plate.
- Add your spaghetti “noodles” into the plate. Mix it up
- Adjust your toppings: garnish with chili, more sweet soy sauce, etc.
I find that this dish goes extremely well with the Russian Caravan tea blend + sugar.
Second best, would be English Breakfast + sugar.
I would admit, not the healthiest, but brings me a great joy every time I eat this.